How to Withdraw a Divorce Petition

By Teo Spengler

Updated November 15, 2017

Couple with lawyer

Pixland/Pixland/Getty Images

They say that breaking up is hard to do, but it's not that hard to undo. If you've filed for divorce and you and your spouse then reconcile, withdrawing a divorce petition is a piece of cake. You file a motion or an application to dismiss the divorce petition and the court grants it. If you and your spouse aren't on the same page, things get dicier.


To withdraw a divorce petition, you and your spouse should both sign either a motion to dismiss divorce complaint and/or a notice of dismissal without prejudice and file the papers with the court.

When Both of You Want to Stay Married

If one of you filed the petition and, while it is pending, both of you decide you want to stay together, it's a done deal. Nobody is going to force you to divorce because you filed for divorce. How to withdraw divorce papers? Go to the clerk of court and ask what form you need to file in your jurisdiction. While many states call the form a dismissal or motion to dismiss, there are other variations on this theme. Obtaining the form or instructions from the court clerk makes it certain you have the right one. Fill out the document, sign it and have your spouse sign it, then file it with the court.

When You Filed and You Want to Dismiss

If you filed the petition for divorce, you may be able to withdraw it without your spouse's agreement. Visit the clerk of court and ask if your spouse has filed any type of response, like an answer or a counterclaim. If not, you can file the document to dismiss the petition yourself. The court will automatically grant your dismissal.

If your spouse has already responded to the petition and filed a counterclaim, you cannot dismiss it without his agreement. If he has simply filed an answer but no counterclaim, the court may allow you to dismiss.

When He Filed and You Want to Dismiss

While it takes two to tango down the aisle, one person alone can initiate divorce proceedings. If your spouse filed for divorce, you can answer the complaint and file a counterclaim, but you don't have the right to withdraw the divorce petition. On the other hand, if you spot errors in the divorce filing, you may be able to get the court to dismiss. For example, if both of you live in California and he files in Florida, you'll probably succeed in getting the court to dismiss the petition.