How to Prove an Unfit Parent in Oklahoma

By Editorial Team

Updated July 20, 2017

When you are trying to gain custody of a minor child in the state of Oklahoma you must go to court and prove that the current legal guardian, whether that is the child's parent or not, is unfit to be the parent or guardian of the child. After you have filed protest for custody papers with your county courthouse they will set the court date and inform you and the child's current guardian or guardians when all of you must appear in court. When the court date is set you can continue.

Decide whether you want to hire a lawyer to represent you or not. You do have the opportunity to represent yourself in this civil case if you would like to.

Collect proof that the current parent is unfit. You want to have proof.

Get letters from friends or family of the current guardian testify to their problems with drugs or alcohol, their inability to give the child a stable home, or their inability to maintain a job.

Get copies of police records if there are any regarding domestic abuse or frequent legal problems connected with the current guardian.

Get signed statements from the child's doctors or teachers about the guardian's behavior and whether or not the child's needs are being met.

Compile all the information you gather and take it to court with you to present to the judge. Once you present your case the judge will make the final judgment as to whether the guardian or parent is unfit or not.