How to Close a Case With the Department of Child Support Services

By Brooke Julia

Updated June 05, 2017


It is possible to close a case with the Department of Child Support by requesting a voluntary case closure, although not all child support cases can be closed, even if both parents wish it. Cases in which the parent and child are on state assistance, such as food stamps and Medicaid, and cases in which child support is seriously in arrears won't be closed. Successfully closing a case means giving up the services the Department provides, including tracking down a noncustodial parent, pursuing late payments and enforcing support amounts. Once your case is closed, you'll be responsible for collecting child support and asking the court to re-evaluate the case.

Speak with your county case worker. Tell him you want to close your case and state your reasons for doing so. In some states, such as Texas and California, a case can't be closed if the child support is greater than $500 in arrears. Your case will be evaluated for eligibility.

Read More: Questions to Ask at a Child Support Hearing

Complete a voluntary case closure request form. This form has different titles depending upon your state and is a legal request to withdraw your child support case from the department. Include your full name and case number.

Make a copy of the voluntary case closure request form. Submit one form to your case worker and keep the other for your records.

Type or legibly write your own letter of withdrawal if you don't have access to a closure form. Include your name, the date, your case number and your request to have the case closed. Sign the document, make a copy for yourself as well as the department and submit it to your county case worker.


You can reopen your case any time. A filing fee applies, variable by state, and the state collects a small percentage of your child support payments in exchange for providing its services.

Keep records of the date and amount the obligor (or paying parent) pays once your case is closed. It will be up to you to document the payment history and to prove when and how much the obligor is in arrears.