How to Put My Divorce on Hold

By Mike Broemmel

Updated July 21, 2017

Junges Paar: Ehekrach im Schlafzimmer

Andreas_Krone/iStock/Getty Images

At your option, or in concert with your spouse, you can seek to have your divorce proceedings put on hold, according to the American Bar Association Section of Family Law. For example, if you and your spouse decide you want to attempt a reconciliation, the court can suspend your divorce proceedings. The court can put a hold on your case for a specific period of time or indefinitely, depending on your circumstances.

Obtain a motion to suspend proceedings from the office of the court clerk where your divorce case is pending. The typical court clerk maintains a selection of standard forms for use by people without lawyers. These forms include instructions.

Contact your spouse to confirm that he agrees to putting the divorce on hold for the time being. If you spouse objects to a suspension of the proceedings, the court likely will not put the case on hold.

Complete the motion to suspend. Note that your spouse agrees with your request, if that is the case. State the specific reason why you wish to put the divorce proceedings on hold. For example, advise the court that you and your spouse are attempting a reconciliation. Sign the motion.

Send a copy of the motion to suspend proceedings to your spouse. First-class mail likely suffices, as opposed to certified mail.

File the motion with the clerk of the court.

Obtain a hearing date and time from either the court clerk or the administrative assistant to the judge assigned your case. Notify your spouse of the hearing.

Attend the hearing and present your position, together with any evidence, to support your request to put the case on hold.


Do not take advantage of the process for putting your divorce case on hold. If you request a suspension more than one or twice, you face the prospect of a judge dismissing your case.