How to File for Temporary Custody in the State of Wisconsin

By Editorial Team

Child custody disputes are often the worst part of any divorce. In the state of Wisconsin, temporary custody is usually awarded before a permanent custody order is established. It is important to treat a temporary custody order as you would a permanent order. Often, the orders tend to remain since the court believes children thrive on stability. The court strives to award custody based on the best interest of the child.

Go to your local Wisconsin courthouse to request an Order for Temporary Physical Custody. You can also obtain and print the forms by visiting the local clerk of court website. Carefully read the instructions and requirements before completing the forms.

Complete the form. You will need to enter your personal information and the other parent's information, including full legal names, current addresses and Social Security numbers. List each child's name, date of birth and Social Security number. The form will ask questions about your income and living expenses. You will be asked to provide the reason you are seeking custody. Sign the petition and make a copy for your records. The court needs to know the children will be in a safe and stable environment.

Return the forms to the court. You will need to pay the required filing fee, which is $184 as of 2010. If there is an emergency situation placing the child in danger,.the fee can be waived.

Wait for the hearing to be scheduled. The temporary hearing is usually scheduled within three to six weeks of filing the request. It may take longer, depending on the county.